Thursday, March 27, 2014

Poetry Project


This April, my friend Rebecca and myself have set a personal goal to write a poem a day for the entire month. I've just decided that this can be a project in memory of Script Frenzy, the script writing version of NaNoWriMo, which used to happen every April, and which I just learned has been dead since 2012. I'm a little behind, yes, so lucky for me that does not matter at all when it comes to memorials. Only memory does.

However the real reason we are doing this is to help self-motivate ourselves and each other to write everyday, something that should not be as hard as we find it sometimes. No, we will not be charging anyone $1 for poems as the picture suggests, although if you want to pay us, I'm sure I speak for both of us when I say that you are more than welcome to. For me, the project has another sort of personal objective. My birthday is at the beginning of the month, as are a LOT of friends and family's birthdays, so April has always been an important and special month for me. I also get excited in April, sort of in the same way I get excited for New Years. New age, new start, new life, that sort of thing. However last April I spent the whole month of newness in the exact wrong way: being deeply unhappy. I won't get into it, but I will say it was probably one of my worst Aprils. So this year, I want a re-do.

I can't promise that I won't spend another April for the rest of my life being unhappy, but I can promise to try to avoid such a fate. Lots of people don't care about birthdays, and I understand why. Just another day, just another year, sure. But I personally enjoy getting excited about things, so for me it's just another thing in life to get excited about. What's the point of living if we are not excited to do so? This April I have even more new things to look forward to than a new age. I'm starting a new mini job (very mini), I'm hoping to move to a new place, and it turns out I'm going to find out if I can actually write a poem a day. The quality of these poems will likely be poor, at least on my side, but you never know, it might be kind of funny if nothing else. And I'm sure Rebecca's will be lovely- she is a wonderful writer.

So that is the project, stay tuned to see if we actually succeed. In the meantime (that sounds so negative- why don't we say nicetime? Why does the time between now and then have to be mean*?), here are some links:

Again, HERE is Rebecca's blog, so you can follow her half of the Poetry Project. I'm here on East Coast USA, and Rebecca is across the pond in Dreamy Oxford, so you're getting a whole world of fun with this project.

HERE is a cool thing I saw online today. Cool book, I should say.

HERE is something I wrote as a guess blogger on my friend Tiffany's website. Check out the rest of the Buddha Cat site as well for all sorts of ways to improve your well-being.  Tiffany is a beautiful and wonderful person and you should all take her yoga classes and do her teacher training.

And finally, HERE is a poem I wrote when I moved back here in February, which somehow ended up in the Purcellville Gazette. I didn't say anything about it before because I was sort of embarrassed that it actually was selected- I'm no poet- but seeing as I've just taken on the Poetry Project, I should probably get over it.


X

*' meantime (n.) Look up meantime at Dictionary.com also mean time, mid-14c., from mean (adj.2) "middle, intermediate" + time (n.). Late 14c. as an adverb. In the mean space "meanwhile" was in use 16c.-18c.'  You win again, etymology. That makes perfect sense, but I still prefer nicetime.

No comments: