Saturday, October 6, 2012

I'm a rock star.



 It’s October, and you know what that means. Halloween! The best day of the year! The day you get to be someone or something new, different, and if you live in the UK, scary. It’s Imagination’s favorite holiday, if you do it right. And by 'right' I clearly do not mean wearing as little clothing as you can in public, just because you can. Imagination hates nothing more than girls wearing just their underwear and bunny ears and calling themselves a bunny. Bunnies are cute; that’s just dumb.
I bought these today. 34 of them. All older than me.
The reason I love Halloween so much, which I’m sure I’ve written about a million times before, is because it’s the one day a year where it’s universally, socially acceptable to pretend to be someone else. For one magical day you are whatever you want to be (again, in the UK that can be anything as long as it’s zombified or at least involves fake blood) and no one can say anything. I’m sure I’ve blogged these exact same words before, but I’m not about to go re-read my own blog to find out. Heavens no. 

What I don’t believe I’ve blogged about before, however, is the power of pretending. I’ve discovered something amazing, something I’m sure most adults do every day. I’ve realized that it can be Halloween every day, that everyone can be what they want to be as long as they just pretend. It’s like ‘you can do anything if you just believe!’ but more practical and active. Wishing upon a star and all that jazz is all well and good, but wishing never got anyone a job or wrote a book. Pretending, however, sort of did.

Speaking of Halloween.
I’m basically ripping this advice straight from Neil Gaiman, whom you all know I love a great deal (Who’s seeing him talk about Fairy Tales with Phillip Pullman in London this month: THIS GUY!). He said in a commencement speech at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia this year that some of the best advice he ever gave was to just go into a job interview as if you are the perfect person for the job, weather you actually believe this to be the case or not. Just pretend it’s already your job and that you know what you are doing 100%. Ever since I saw this speech I haven’t been able to get that out of my head. He said a lot of other great this too, like how nothing he ever did for money was ever worth it, and how you should always make great art, even if your cat explodes, but the thing about pretending stuck with me the most. I mean, it’s pretending! That’s my thing. Why didn’t I think of that myself?
 
So this is what I’ve been trying to do ever since. Just pretend I know what I’m doing with my life, that I know how to write a book and apply for jobs and get those jobs and talk to people and all those grown up things that, as a child, I always assumed I’d just know how to do when I reached a certain age. It’s brought me success so far, I managed to get my dream (albeit short) job this summer, and before that I got to read in that showcase, so I think I’m going to keep it up. I’ll let you know when it fails, but I really don’t think it will. It’s all about confidence. I know I can do any job (as long as it doesn’t involve math or astrophysics), it’s just convincing other people that I can do the job that matters. So we’ll see.
I'm at the beach right now.

All I know is that pretending has always been my favorite thing, so that’s what I think I’ll continue to do. So right now, I’m a rock star. Not a real one, not really in a singing mood at the moment, but a writing rock star. I’m going to write the best cover letter I’ve ever written, and the jobs I’m about to apply for are going to gasp when they read it and say, ‘that’s it; we’ve found her. Ready my jet.' Because, yes, the jobs I’m applying for are that cool. At least I’ll pretend they are.

Peace, love and sandy feet,

Maria 

PS- Minor point, but would someone PLEASE throw me a bone and ask their friend or family member or dog or landlord to follow me already? I've been sitting at 59 followers for ages and it's just a knife in the gut. Ok, that's a bit extreme, but still, I'm just asking for 60, just one more, that's all. I realize that I don't offer much, I hardly ever post and when I do it's of little substance, but still. Let a girl dream of being worth reading, and tell a friend.

No comments: