Monday, April 25, 2011

Tell a stranger that they're beautiful.

I am very unhappy with the world right now. That's right World, I'm talking to you. You are in big trouble.


Yesterday, a friend of mine was beaten up in the UK for being gay. Fractured elbow.


Then today I saw a video online I wish I could un-see. It was taken on a camera phone by the employees of a McDonald's in Baltimore while two teen girls beat a transgendered women so savagely that she had a seizure. All she did was use the ladies bathroom. The only one who tried to help her was an old women. The image of the woman clinging to the leg of the old women while the two girls beat her is going to keep me up tonight.


So, what the hell World? Why? How can this happen, how can this still be happening in the year 2011? I'm disgusted, I'm sad, I'm powerless, I'm shocked. I want to do something, but I don't know what. All I've got is this silly blog and 40some followers.


I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but just try and imagine the world (imagine yourself World) sans these people: David Bowie, Truman Capote, W.H. Auden, Leonard Bernstein, Ellen DeGeneres, Adam Lambert, Ian McKellen, Elton John, Andy Warhol, Laurence Olivier, David Sedaris, Freddie Mercury, Oscar Wilde, Joan Baez; I could go on all day. And my friends; where would I be without them? Joe, Max, JP, John, Todd, Meg, Aaron, Heath, Drew, Tim, Chris, David, Matt, Kristopher, and anyone else I'm forgetting (sorry if I am). The world would be boring, devoid of all color and music and art. I would have been very bored in high school and college without these people (seeing as a bunch taught me how to spin). Big Bertha in Lovettsville summers, Dorcy's Knob adventure days and creeper faces in all my pictures, glitter, Men in Tights in the car to Pittsburg, Twilight bashing online, Electrobeats at Doener, two birthday twins, writing weeks in Wales, prized Stevie Nicks CD,  unforgettable 24th birthday (and 22nd for that matter).  I would not be me, the world would not be the world, everyone would be missing out.


So, shape up World. STOP THE HATE. I'm FED UP with stories like this. I hope I live to see the day when people can love who they want and be who they want without violence.


~major7th



3 comments:

DeeRoo said...

*sigh* I hear you sweetheart and all you can do is continue being the best YOU you can be and pay it forward. Hope your friend is ok.
xo

Kelsey Austin Threatte said...

you are the best and the world would be a far better place if there were more people like you in it... OR BETTER YET IF YOU RAN IT. Plans are underway. Get ready.

Kerry said...

Don't be sad...Maria...you and your generation will change it...and we old farts will try and do our share as well...