Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 2 teaser in which I only allude to what I actually did today.

I have so much to say I can't get my head around it all. I'll write a proper blog later all about Save The Children and how awesome they are and the blogging conference and Melvin Burgess later, so I can do it justice, but right now I am going to write about some other general things. I wrote pages of notes today on my way to London, in London, at the conference, during breaks, about London, all over the place.

I discovered today that I am in fact living like a 100 year old women because I do not own an Iphone or have a Twitter account. I've been very anti both of these things, but today I felt a little left out when every single person around me at the conference was Tweeting or however you say it while the conference was going on. I had been sitting down for about five seconds talking to people and my picture was taken and put on Twitter ("Oxford-bird not on Twitter" as I'm now known. If I get on Twitter, I might have to use that). This was the most well documented conference of all time, which was to be expected since it was all about the importance of social networks to raise awareness and connect people. But because I did not possess the proper technology, I was so not connected. For the first time ever I felt silly sitting there, taking notes on a yellow legal pad. I'll never give it up, there's nothing better than a legal pad, but I still felt like I was using some sort of archaic technology. I was taking pictures with a real camera that was in no way also a phone and wrote people's names down instead of adding them instantly online. How positively stone-aged!

Although the focus of the conference was social networking, I was still a little annoyed that people were literally Tweeting as they talked to me. Conversations went generally like this (from what I observed): "Hello, nice to meet you, what's your name on Twitter?" People were adding each other or following or whatever it is you actually do on there before they even knew each other. I guess it's a different beast than good old facebook and knowing the people in real life is not as important, but it seemed a little strange to me. Again, maybe i'm just old fashioned, I don't know.

My mind raced in a million different directions today, which is the sign of a good conference, all of which I will write about tomorrow. However one thing I will leave you with is a quote that one of the speakers put up in regards to getting people to support your cause, or getting people to do anything:

"If you want to build a ship, don't gather people together to collect wood, don't assign them tasks and work, but instead teach them to long for the sea." ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I like this a lot. Basically, all it comes down to is passion. People need to have passion for what they do/make/support, or nothing will happen. I met lots of passionate people today, all of which I will write about tomorrow.

~major7th

1 comment:

DeeRoo said...

Do you realize that the author of your quote wrote "The Little Prince"? Go wiki him....quite interesting!

Glad you had a great day...good way to end this crazy week!