Monday, January 10, 2011

I give people absolutely no reason to read this blog.


Pretty, but a pain in England's ass.

I realize I'm the worst blogger of all time. Don't think I don't know, because I really do. To say I've been busy is a lame excuse; I started this blog in the busiest semester of my entire life and still managed to get in a few a month. Now it looks like I'm down to one a month, if that. Not cool. Maybe one of my New Year's resolutions should be to blog more. Nah. If I did that they would just end up being picture blogs or me talking about how I have nothing to blog about. No one wants that.

So anyway, my December was really great. Everything I said was going to happen in my last blog happened, and all trips were successful and fun minus one 12 hour stay in Heathrow Airport, not getting to see a bunch of people at home (sorry if I missed you!) and seeing the people I did get to for like a day each, if that. One week at home was not nearly enough. Now I'm back in good old Oxford. The ceiling in my bedroom is freshly painted, I have a new curtain, new housemate, new job and two awesome new pairs of boots (I finally fit in!). Happy New Year.

The view from the seat in the coffee shop where J.K. wrote the first two Harry Potter books.

Since I've been back I've been busy. I worked 4 of the last 5 days which has been great. I've missed having a job more than I thought. It's been great having so much time to write and read and do school stuff and explore, don't get me wrong. I realize how lucky I am right now, and that things will never be this great again. But I really have missed working. Having a job makes me feel good. I like having somewhere to be and a job to do and being in charge of things, no matter how small. For those of you who missed the memo, I'm working at the Bodleian Library in the gift shop. That is THE library of Oxford University, and one of the oldest in Europe, the second biggest in England. It's freaken' sweet, my favorite place in Oxford I think.

This is the shop, a picture from the website. I'm not allowed to take pictures, lame.

The room that the shop is in used to be the Council Room (later called the Curator's room) where the governing body of the Library used to meet. There are 16 paintings of old librarians along the walls. They remind me of the portraits of the former headmasters of Hogwarts in Dumbledore's office. Because you know, I've been in there. I swear they wink at me sometimes. Those cheeky librarians.

It's a pretty fun job. I basically restock merch all day and talk to tourists. Met a couple from Dallas today, they were very nice. Some aren't, but you'll have that. After working at my last job, I think I can take anything. As far as I'm concerned, there is no way you could possibly be unhappy when in the Bodleian. It's seriously a magical place.

I get access to the New Bodleian, the building where they are moving lots of the books to while they do renovations and the like, which has a little canteen and common room for employees. I got to see the underground stacks of books the other day, it smelled awesome down there. It makes me feel sort of cool hanging out in the common room with my little Bodleian staff card clipped to my shirt and my magic keys to get me into all the buildings. So thank you again Beth Pieper for finding me this job, it's perfect for me. Just what I needed.

Unfortunately I can only work 2 days a week. Thanks a lot border control. My student visa only allows me to work 20 hours a week which just makes me feel lazy. When I get a job, I want to be there every day. I want to know everything there is to know and I want to move up and I want to be the best. There is a LOT to know working at the Bod. Two days a week is killing me. Well, not really, I've just started, but at least for the rest of this month before classes start again, I will always be wishing I could go in at least a few more days a week. I'll probably look back on this time in my life later, a time where I have one day of classes and two days of work and get to live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world and will want to slap my past self for wanting more work. Whatever. Shut up future self. I'm sure you're happy doing whatever you're doing, leave me alone. I hope so anyway.

One of the first things I did in the New Year was visit Nicole, naturally. Guess what she gave me for Christmas? GUESS? A jar of peanut butter and a royal BLUE WIG. Basically the coolest Christmas present of all time. I put it on immediately and could not stop saying "I can't believe you got me a wig!" Also, while visiting Nicole, we came up with some new year's resolutions. I wasn't going to bother this year since I never do them, but they're fun to come up with so whatever.

Here they are, for 2011 I want to:

  1. Not fail out of Grad school.
  2. Try REALLY hard to get published anywhere.
  3. Wear my new wig for Halloween (who can I be?).
  4. Travel as much as I can.
  5. Not get fired.

Those sound pretty reasonable right? I think they are all very doable, not like previous years where I vowed to do stupid things like get healthy and, I don't know, finish things. Lame. And you know what I realized? I actually have a whole year left in England. All this time, in my head, it was like Christmas was halfway, but that's never been true. I just never thought about it. Classes are over in May, final project due in September. Then, legally speaking, I can stay in the country for 3 more months without extending my visa or anything. I think I'm doing that, staying as long as I can on my visa. It's never going to be easier for me to live in this country than it is right now, so I might as well stay as long as I can. So, 2011 is going to be spent in England in its entirety. How exciting. Yes, I'm going to miss everyone at home a ton, that is very true. But when I leave this place for good, I'll miss everyone I've met here just as much and those goodbyes will be worse. I don't want to think about it.

I need to clean my room. And the house smells like homemade bread a la Rose. And I hear she is making chocolate apples downstairs too, so I've gotta go.

Finished my book today, what should I read next?

~major7th

5 comments:

DeeRoo said...

Yes you don't...but when you do post it makes it totally worth the wait...well done kiddo!
Eat some yummy bread for us!
xo

Rafael's Mum said...

Glad it all worked out (well...almost :-) and you did not get very stuck somewhere.

Which book did you just finish?

Kelsey Austin Threatte said...

YOU'RE SO RAD!

Tanner said...

You claimed to give no reason to read your blog and directly below was a excellent shot of a grand old building in one of the great cities to make me all jelous of your supposedly boring adventures.

Veritas said...

Just reading your "Get published anywhere" thing and thought you should check out my friends website. www.yafantasyguide.com - might be some helpful stuff on there. Plus I am doing author interviews for them!