Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Wear Purple


I never usually write about anything in this blog that is too heavy, it's not my style. I like it keep it fairly upbeat. However today I want you to all wear purple, so I'm going to have to take it down a notch to explain.

Today across the country (and world since I'm all the way over here) people are being asked to wear purple in memory of the teenagers who ended their lives for being bullied about their sexual orientation. I'm sure you have all seen Ellen's PSA. Today is Spirit Day, a day to celebrate what makes us all unique and different and to embrace it. Here, this will do a better job, I got it off facebook:

"It's been decided! On October 20th, 2010, we will wear purple in honor of the LGBT youth who have committed suicide in recent weeks/months due to homophobic abuse in their homes and schools.

PURPLE represents Spirit on the LGBTQ flag and that's exactly what we'd like all of you to have with you: spirit. Please know that times will get better and that you will meet people who will love you and respect you for who you are, no matter your sexuality.

RIP
Tyler Clementi, Seth Walsh, Justin Aaberg, Raymond Chase, Asher Brown, Cody J. Barker, Harrison Chase Brown, Caleb Nolt, Billy Lucas, Jeanine Blanchette, and Chantal Dube."

Look at all those names! That is ridiculous. And all because mean kids decided it would be funny to bully them. This has got to stop people, no matter what your belief is on the matter or gay marriage or even on homosexuality in general, I think everyone can agree that this is just plain wrong.

I for one try to be an open minded person. Usually I can see both sides of things; even if I don't agree with the opposite side I can still see where people are coming from. However this is one issue I cannot in any way see the other side of. I cannot wrap my brain around someone telling someone else that they cannot marry the person they love because of their sexual orientation. I cannot see how anyone can say that love is wrong, ever. I mean, why the hell does it matter? Why is it wrong for gay couples to adopt and raise a child? Oh no, then that kid will have TWO people who love them and support them, heaven forbid. I just cannot understand it. And now, because of children who have been raised to think there is something funny about being gay, who think it's a good idea to bully their peers, because of this act 11 young people killed themselves. Whywhywhywhywhy??

I'll respect your opinions about anything else you believe in, but if you think that to be gay is to be wrong, I don't want to be friends.

SO, wear purple people!

~major7th


3 comments:

DeeRoo said...

Read this a hour before going to work...changed from a red shirt to a purple shirt...thanks for the reminder to just follow the Golden Rule!

Tanner said...

Bullying in general is a reprehensable practice, no good comes from it.

Kelsey Austin Threatte said...

I tried to talk about these issues in my class and the reactions were just so disheartening. It was the only time I actually sat down. It blew me away how ignorant and hateful people can be.