Friday, August 27, 2010

‘From the Depths’


I'm in a bakery right now, the kind that will probably lead to my eventual death by pastries. These places are EVERYWHERE and I just want to sit in all of them and eat everything. It's been raining the last three days nonstop therefore today I had to get out of the house. So here I am, in Queens Bakery on Windmill Road, using the internet and about to get serious about a few things.

What am I getting serious about? Nicole's book. She will be here in about two weeks for our trip to Wales, so I need to finish reading it. I'm about halfway through it, but I had to put it aside for a few days. Every time I read this book (all two times) I just end up getting jealous that I did not think of it first. It's such a great story, just wait world. You will all get a chance to read it one day. I'm 100% sure of it.

Dragon guarding the city

What else am I getting serious about? Planning Nicole's trip. Not that I was not serious about it before (and about reading her book), I've just been sort of rainy-day lazy if you know what I mean. But today is beautiful, so things are happening. A friend and I decided this morning that today was going to be amazing, and so it has.
Something I want. bad.

So I've been here three weeks now. The longest I've ever been out of the country. It doesn't seem like I've been gone that long at all. I guess because when you are on vacation you are always running around like a crazy person trying to fit in everything you want to see and do while right now I know I have time, so I've been taking it easy. That and I'm waiting for my Brookes ID to get discounts and special things, which I still won't get for weeks. My Mountaineer ID will only get me so far. Thank you WVU for not putting expiration dates on student IDs!

Wall art in my bedroom.


Completely unrelated topic; I saw a guy who looked just like Gerard Depardieu the other day. Rose and I have been working on this mega craft project for the last few weeks and we needed some supplies. More on the mega craft project at a later date, like if we ever finish. Anyway, she took me to this place that is essentially a junk shop, but more organized. It's an art major's dream in there, scraps of fabric, rolls of paper, random containers, free books (mostly in other languages), balls of yarn, old calendars, scraps of just about everything you would ever need for any project. We were there for paint. The best part about this place is that you get tons of stuff for very little money. We got two cans of paint, a bunch of old calendars, a stack of books and some other little things for two pounds.

Our clothes line.


So anyway, in the paint section there was this guy. Really the only thing that was in any way Gerard Depardieu about him was his nose. It was the exact same weird shaped nose. I went through a major Depardieu phase in college, so I know it well. I swear they could have been related. This guy did not talk much, was definitely not French and had curly black hair. But I'm telling you, he had the exact same nose. I'm not sure why I would think that anyone would care about this, but that's ok. It's my blog, so you will just have to deal with my ramblings.

One night's activities.


Speaking of famous people, I did see a real famous person on Monday. Jen told me that Rupert Grint, or I should say Ron Weasley, was going to be talking about a new movie at the apple store in London. SO I hopped on a bus to the city with one of Jen's friends in OX and away we went! It was pretty cool, we were all sitting around this little stage and he answered questions from the interviewer and the crowed. It was all recorded for a pod cast, so I'll probably be on that. COOL. He is so adorable.

<3


Last exciting thing; Mockingjay came out on Wednesday! The last book in The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I ran down to the city to Blackwells on Wednesday, beating the rain on the way down only to find that Blackwells, THE famous Blackwells bookstore, had not gotten their shipment in yet. The guy told me to come back later in the day and they would probably have it. LATER IN THE DAY??? That's like a store not having Harry Potter at midnight and telling the line of people to come back the next day! Not happening. So you know what I did Blackwells?? I went down the street to Waterstone and got it there. How's that feel?

So at that point it had started to rain, but I was so happy about having my book that it did not even matter. I read the first three chapters in a coffee shop to wait out the rain, but when it was apparent it was not going to stop I went home and read 100 pages. It rained the next day, ALL day, so I literally sat in my room from about 11am to 5 reading and finished it with enough time left in the day to go downstairs and draw self portraits with my house mates. So needless to say, yesterday was a good day.

Looks just like me!


So anyway, Mockingjay was really intense and a major downer. But the ending was beautiful. Those books really opened things up to me, things I never thought you could put in YA stories. I'm sure those books are banned somewhere, probably in the USA, but that's how you know it's good. I won't say much else about the story because I don't want to ruin it for everyone. Beautiful can be good and bad, so don't try to tell me I gave anything away. Because trust me, I haven't.

Anything else? Well I saw someone wearing an Eastern Michigan t-shirt just a second ago out the window, and the other day I saw some little boy wearing a Rutgers shirt. That's sort of weird. I guess I better crack out my WVU garb.

So that's about it. For now.

~major7th

POST SCRIPT: I found an old copy of De Profundis by Oscar Wilde, a 50,000 word letter he wrote to his lover Lord Alfred Douglas while he was in prison. It's all about his imprisonment and what it was doing to him mentally and physically. Great find. I would recommend telling yourself every morning that your day is going to be amazing. It works.


6 comments:

DeeRoo said...

I'm honored to be part of your wall art!:)

You have an accent yet?:)
xo

Tanner said...

Hanging out at a bakery is under rated; I make a point to go back to the one in which I worked every week or two.

You make it sound (and look) so awesome there. You must just find the awesome. I wish I could just swim over there and hang out for a few days.

foobella said...

so much prettier in here now. I love the picture of your clothes line. Wow, Weasley has grown in a good lookin' young man.

Kelsey Austin Threatte said...

Holy hogwarts maria I am so happy for you! No way rain can get you down in a place like that and with your amazing attitude. I have these comments and more:
1. Those cookie dudes were adorable.
2. "It's my blog, so you will just have to deal with my ramblings." Awesome. I do so happily.
3. Mr. Ron looks drugged out and if you didn't get him to awkwardly say "I love you" while riding in the back of a convertible at the cherry blossom festival then molly and I still have you beat (Samweise... why do we encounter so many lovable secondary characters, the goofy sidekicks are our people of choice I guess).

Anywhooo... yeah, you rock.

beth said...

I was going to say Ron looks like a husky drunk. Kelsey beat me.

Veritas said...

Just noted your Post Script! I was part of a team that just published a book called London Triptych that is based loosely on De Profundis and Dorian Gray. You should totes look it up, or I'll lend you my copy :)