Saturday, June 12, 2010

People suck.

Is it so hard to be pleasant? Or to at least put a little effort into being nice to people? It must be, because this year I've been working in the food service industry I've meet some of the most unpleasant people (and good ones, but I'll get to that later). However, this blog is not totally about me. My mother just told me about something that happened to my brother at the grocery store he works in, and it has made me SO mad I just had to write about it.

My brother is a bagger at a grocery store in Richmond. He is also in a band that is doing very well in Richmond and surrounding areas. He has an awesome girlfriend, great friends and has an overall good life in Richmond. He is two years younger than me, but knows more about the real world than I do. And to top of it all off, he is a good person. Seriously, he's one of the nicest boys you'll ever meet. But I guess being a nice person does not get you very far.

The other day this grumpy old man who my brother deals with all the time gave him a lot of crap for no reason. He called him a little shit and told him he is not going anywhere with his life just because he works at a grocery store. Why do people have to suck so much? Why does this guy think he has any right to talk to my brother this way, who has never been anything but helpful? No one has the right to talk to someone that way, no matter who they are in the world, how old they are or what they look like. It blows my mind that someone can be such an unprovoked ass. I don't care if he was having a bad day or even a bad year, there is no excuse. If you are having a bad day, just keep your mouth shut. Don't say anything. Don't take out your frustrations with your own life out on the people around you. There is no reason to bring someone down just because you are, especially someone as cool as my brother.

This sort of treatment has happened to me where I work, but not to this extreme. I just get picked on for not looking old enough to pour beer, for not liking beer, for not speaking German and sometimes for just being a girl. All these things I can deal with; I just laugh at their jokes and move on. I overheard a father telling his two small children that the state of West Virginia is full of rednecks and inbreeds once and had to really restrain myself from going over to him and giving him a piece of my mind. I ask again, why do so many people suck?

However, I do not condemn the entire human race. Obviously. As many mean people as I encounter on a daily biases, there are at least three super cool people to take their place and make my day. John (or the $2 bill guy as I called him before I learned his name) actually bought me a travel book about London when he found out I was going to England next year. I recently meet (or got to know) a guy who has given me really solid comments on some of my writing. One guy comes in every now and we talk about what books we are reading. I can't even count the number of friendly regulars that I've meet this year I've worked at this restaurant. The good outnumber the bad.

So the next time you think of mistreating someone you feel is under you, just don't do it. No one is under anyone. Just because someone pours beer for a living does not mean you can whistle and clap to get their attention and then call them 'hey you.' Just because someone has tattoos you may not agree with does not mean you can question their life choices and verbally abuse them. NEVER judge a person on the way they look or how they dress. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinions, but just do me one tiny, not-gonna-hurt-you-a-bit favor.

BE NICE.

~major7th


 

Ps. I realize I'm preaching to the choir here; all my blog followers are stand up people. It's all the people who won't read this blog who probably should.

7 comments:

Lynz said...

I am pathologically unable to be rude to cold callers at home. And they really annoy me; always phone when I'm cooking or am in the middle of something fiddly or am just leaving the house but at the end of the day, they're just doing their job. Which forces me to be polite, hear them out and then firmly (yet nicely) tell them no ta. Coz they must get some really ignorant feckers!!

Rafael's Mum said...

Don't let it get to you Maria, there will always be people like that and sometimes you meet more of them than other times. The best thing is to not give it another thought. That sort of people are out to get a reaction out of you (often because they are shallow and insecure themselves) and I wouldn't give them the satisfaction! Moreover, if you are upset about it privately at home, it's still they who win.. Rise above it and pity them for the simple folk they are..

mary alyce said...

Right on Maria!!! People are so quick to judge these days, as if they are in the position to look down, when perhaps in the very next moment they may need your help...and the very folks they look down on are indeed the ones who would be there to offer their help.

I'm so glad that you and James have grown to be the people that rise above. Remember Mr. Davis' poem about "Do It Anyway"? Even when it's difficult to show kindness, do it anyway. You may not know it, but you inspire others, as I'm sure James does. Don't give the unhappy the satisfaction of changing you in any way.

Thanks for your blog and your perspective.

Kelsey Austin Threatte said...

I love your righteous anger. let's start a revolution baby.

Tanner said...

When I worked as a bagger, people seriously assumed that I had a severe mental disability. It was kind of funny because I had health insurance and a 401K at that job and a lot of the customers had none of those things. On the other hand, when I had lower total compensation selling shoes, people assumed I was the primary breadwinner and a father. It's ignorance (we have women running for US president and some jerk thinks one can't pour his beer?) When you get upset, call me and we can have smart, educated people conversation and will both feel better.

Tanner said...

When I worked as a bagger, people seriously assumed that I had a severe mental disability. It was kind of funny because I had health insurance and a 401K at that job and a lot of the customers had none of those things. On the other hand, when I had lower total compensation selling shoes, people assumed I was the primary breadwinner and a father. It's ignorance (we have women running for US president and some jerk thinks one can't pour his beer?) When you get upset, call me and we can have smart, educated people conversation and will both feel better.

Casey said...

Hey you GO girl!

You are so correct, nothing gives us the right to take out our anger/frustration and general bad moods on others - but - people obviously do it all the time.

Let us remember as we go through our own days, to always take the day with a smile. Not always easy, but SO much better for us and everyone who we meet!