Sunday, May 23, 2010

Goodbye and thank you to ‘Lost’



Tonight is the end of an era, the end of an era filled with smoke monsters, polar bears, witty nicknames, 'others' and confusion. For the last six years I have watched 'Lost' with my friends, family and the world and have gotten all worked up again and again when the end of an episode left me craving answers. 'Lost' was always an event rather than a TV show. In high school my Lovettsville friends and I would get Subway every Wednesday and watch it Tivoed and without commercials. In college Nicole and I would literally run home from whatever we were doing that night to watch 'Lost,' usually with a pizza or pack of wine coolers. It never failed that we usually had something going on Wednesday nights that came dangerously close to the time 'Lost' aired, but we always made it work. This year I've watched it at home with my parents, normally while skypeing with Nicole so we could pretend we were watching it together and discuss why oh why Kate had not died yet. No matter what, I always made time for this show. It is the only TV show I've ever committed to wholly, blowing off other things just to watch. 'Lost' has been a friend to me for the past six years and as such I feel compelled to say a proper goodbye in the form of a thank you letter.


~


Dear ABC's hit SiFi drama LOST,


Thank you for being you. Thank you for mystifying me each and every week and always leaving me wanting for just an extra 10 more minutes of your complex plot.


Thank you for putting Dominic Monahan in a TV show right after the last Lord of the Rings movie was over and done with. I have a feeling I'm not the only one out there who started watching just for him. You came to the world in a time of need, a deep need for more hobbit action in the form of a guitar playing drug addict lover boy. We could not quit Lord of the Rings cold turkey, and by putting Dom in a TV show we have been able to slowly wean ourselves off week by week. We all cried when Charlie died, but at that point we were so invested in all the other characters that our grief could not last all that long, we had other people to worry about.


Thank you for confusing me. Really, I mean it. No other show out there is as…out there. I may have complained week after week and shouted to the heavens for some answers, but to be honest, I have enjoyed being confused. I liked never knowing what was going to happen. These days it is so hard to come up with an original story, and in this world of Stephanie Myers clichés and Christopher Paolini and Cassandra Clare plagiarism, I have thoroughly enjoyed your story that started out so simple and has developed into something so bizarre and complex that it has the most avid TV watchers perplexed. Thank you for being original.


Thank you for jumping the shark. Once the Island started jumping through time, I knew it had also jumped the proverbial shark, and I was ok with it. Not many shows can pull this off, and honestly, I don't know if you did or not. I just know I have been enjoying it. If I had a nickel for every time I shouted WTF at the TV in the last six years, I would be able to pay off all my student loans tomorrow. I know of a lot of people who stopped watching after the 3rd season or so, people who lost the faith and quit. I did not quit, and man am I glad I didn't. I knew it would pull through, and it did. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about when I say something jumped the shark, it's simple. It is the point in a TV show where the plot crosses the line into ridiculous and usually causes the death of the show. You did not die.


Tonight you will end, but never die.


Love,


Maria


~


Tonight the finale starts at 9. I work tonight. Till 9. What's with that? But I have a plan, and thanks to Beth's Tivo, I'm going to make it happen anyway. Clean fast, get out fast, watch 'Lost' for the last time.


~major7th



3 comments:

Lynz said...

It's on at 5am here!!! So we can watch it simultaneously (and at the same time) as you, apparently. But much as I will see it through to the end I WILL NOT get up that early and watch it before work. So we're Sky-plussing it and it shall be viewed after tea tomorrow night. So just 8 hours or so to avoid spoilers!!

P.S. To be quite honest, it's plain stubborness that's kept me going the last 2 series. I've seen it this far, I WILL get to the end! I'm quite excited, though - especially if James gets his shirt off. Although my fave is Hurley.

Kelsey Austin Threatte said...

I ask myself why kate hasn't died every day...
This was a lovely tribute and I wish I was there to experience it with you. Stinking Hulu and it's lack of international viewing rights. Have a wonderful night and drive safe back from work : )

Tanner said...

LOST pretty much required a commitment, which is why I couldn't watch (that and having no TV service for two non-consecutive seasons). But no spoilers, I may get it on DVD.