Thursday, December 3, 2009

Food Lies

Nano’s over, I won. The last few days have been rather wonderful, being able to do anything after work instead of the only option being to write. Don’t get me wrong, I obviously love to write or I would not have done NanoWrimo in the first place, but after a month of stressing about being behind on my word count every day and loosing inspiration, it’s nice to not have to write. Like last night, I actually got to read, imagine that? There is defiantly no room for reading in November, but now it’s December, so bring it on Percy Jackson and the Olympians. I’m on book one of six, recommended to me by my little cousin Nathan and just about every pre-teen boy on the planet.



I have an hour right now, an hour until my phone interview with Oxford Brookes. It was supposed to happen Thanksgiving day at this time. Unfortunately it didn’t, but with good reason. So here I am, a week later, waiting for my call, trying not to throw up. Last week I freaked out and said to my mom, “what if they ask me what my favorite book is and I forget? Or who my favorite authors are and I can’t remember?” She rolled her eyes and responded, “Then why don’t you go get all your favorite books and put them in a stack on your desk so you can’t forget?” So that’s what I did. It is comforting to be surrounded by my favorite books, all right there in front of me, reassuring me that I will survive the interview. Cyrano De Bergerac’s there to give me a little panache, The Princess Bride to make me funny, Harry Potter to remind me what a good book can do to the world, In Cold Blood so I don’t forget the power of a true story and To Kill a Mockingbird because it’s just so damn good.




I still have about 40 minutes to kill. Last time I wrote I was on my way to Wisconsin. So that happened, and it was fantastic. Mary and I only left the apartment to eat, spending most of our time watching the entire first and only season of Firefly, a SiFi Cowboy show everyone has been telling me to watch for ages and I just never got around go seeing. They were right; the show seemed to be engineered to be exactly something I would love. It was great being able to just sit around and watch TV and eat Chilly Cheese dip, I have not had the time to lounge around like that in ages.




Ok, so I exaggerated. We did leave the apartment a little more than just at meal times. Mary took me to her work place, Epic Systems. This place pretends to be a complex of office buildings, when in reality it’s a playground for adults. Each hallway has a different theme, be it Indiana Jones, Africa, the Metro or a conference room that is an actual tree house named Endor. They just built a new Asian themed building and were working on a Dungeon and Dragon’s themed building when I was there. Why don’t I work there again? No idea really, I like cold weather.




Mary and I also walked around downtown Madison and campus, which is always fun. Madison is a nice place; I really do need to come visit again in the summer time. I got to finally meet Mary’s boyfriend Michael who I’ve been hearing about for ages. He was totally cool, gets my seal of approval. I was sad to leave that Saturday but excited to get to Milwaukee and my Molly.




After two hours on a bus I made it to Milwaukee, a very different place than Madison. When I first got into Wisconsin and was taking the bus from Chicago to Madison, the state was not at its best. It was raining and gross outside, dark and dreary, wet and soggy. I got lucky the rest of the weekend; it was unusually warm and sunny. Molly and I dropped off my junk and then went to get sandwiches at a little anything-can-be-made-vegan place. I always seem to end up places like that with Molly, which is totally cool, as was evident the next night with a table full of different types of Meatloaf.




Molly and I did lots, including finishing my Firefly weekend by watching the movie they made after the show was canceled, Serenity. SPOLIER ALERT!! WHY Wash? Honestly, why do my favorite characters always end up dying? So abruptly too, and then no one even cared! Not even his badass wife with amazing hair and lips. Hahah, good movie.




Molly is one of those friends I always end up doing things with that I would have never imagined myself doing otherwise. Example: we went to see Peaches my first night in town. I will not go into detail about what sort of a band Peaches is, seeing as grandparents frequent this blog, but if you are really interested, look her up. I will say I have never had so much fun at a concert before where I did not know the band at all or any of the songs. She was fantastic, I actually danced. PEACHES WALKS ON YOU!




We walked through this one section of Milwaukee that was totally old school Germany and it freaked me out. People told me before I left that Milwaukee had a huge German community, but I was not expecting all the Hofbräu banners and Oktoberfest things. It was like I didn’t even leave Leesburg :-) Also, news to me, the place we get our Bratwursts, Usingers, is from Milwaukee. I saw their factory! WEIRD. That day we also hung out for a while with a bronze statue of The Fonz. Aaayyyy! Why bronze The Fonz you ask? Why not?




The last stop on my trip was the highest point in Milwaukee, a park with a view of the entire city. Molly and I sat on a bench, my hair freshly French braided the way only Molly can do it, and watched the hazy skyline in the cold November air. I really wanted to put her in my pocket and take her back to Lovettsville with me. Luckily our goodbye did not have to be a sad one because she came back for Thanksgiving, and I will see her again at Christmas.




So, after a wonderful weekend of talking Mary and Molly’s ears off, I ended up back in Virginia, welcomed with rain and work the next morning, as well as a NanoWrimo story I was around 10,000 words behind on writing. Somehow I made it to 50k, somehow, and now I’m happily trying to finish the actual story, but in a much more relaxed pace. December is good.




Alright, back to the nervousness. I can’t wait for England to call me! Wish me luck!







~major7th!







PICTURES: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2355987&id=25808219&l=5f4ea6d7ec

4 comments:

foobella said...

Good luck!!

Tanner said...

Because bronze Fonz rhymes. And I've never heard of a n-- snowman.

Julie said...

You should try watching Castle sometimes. They do a lot of Firefly references.

Keeping our fingers crossed for you!

Snooty Crumb said...

I love Percy Jackson and Olympians (even though they're meant for 12-year-olds)!!! They're making a movie of the Lightning Theif. I think it comes out next spring or something.