Monday, November 9, 2009

Are my buns straight?



I’ve done some pretty nerdy things in my time. I’ve gone to a Harry Potter book release and waited 4 hours for the new book, gone on a bunch of Lord of the Rings tours in New Zealand on two separate trips, worn matching, handmade t-shirts to a Police concert, bought Oscar Wilde a rainbow rose and been to Hobbiton, but tonight may have topped them all. Tonight I went to see Star Wars in Concert with my mother, aunt and grandmother a the Scope Arena in Norfolk, VA, and it was fanfreakentastic times infinity.


I dusted off my old Princess Leia costume to wear and mom and I rooted through my costume collection to find all the other Star Wars themed ones. Mom went as Obi-Wan, Auntie Petrina as Queen Amidala and Grandma, the last minute thrown together costume, went as farm boy Luke Skywalker. We were not sure if people really did dress up for this thing or now, we searched the internet for clues, but in the end we decided that we really didn’t care. It’s a Star Wars concert, no one going to that had any room for fun making.


We were a hit the moment we stepped inside the doors. Other people had dressed up, but none as good we us! There were tons of tiny Darth Vaders, Jedi and Stormtroopers running around. I wanted to gather all the Imperial children into a group and take a picture with them all pointing guns at me, but no such luck. One tiny Darth Vader did sort of agree to take his picture with me, so cute.


I have never posed for so many strangers pictures in my whole life. Everywhere we went it was ‘look, its Princess Leia!’ and ‘can I get a picture with you?’ I really felt like a celebrity. Now I know how Nicole felt in NYC last year when the little girl thought she was a real princess. My favorite little girl said “I am always you when we play!” Her brother was not so eloquent. He stuck with, “I’m Boba Fett.” Ya, no kidding kid, you think I’m dressed up as the Princess and don’t know who Boba Fett is? Anyway, we posed with grownups, kids and other costumed people all night long and it was like I had died and gone to a galaxy far far away.


One guy, the exact type of guy that always seem to be drawn to me that I’ve mentioned before, came up to us when we were in the merchandise line. He had on a retro Star Wars shirt, tucked in of course, no hair and a few light sabers. He looked me up and down and said, “oh hello…”


Him- (waves hand in front of my face) You will go out with me…


Me- Sorry, your Jedi mind tricks don’t work on me.


Him- aw, it was worth a try.


Seriously, it was. If it weren’t for the fact that he was in his late thirties, tried to tell me we had a Qui-Gon Lightsaber when clearly it was Luke’s second one, had his t-shirt tucked in and was creepy, I might have been impressed. He found us again later to take our picture, and then we saw him AGAIN when we were leaving, but to his credit, he did not creep on us anymore. Thanks man. May the force be with you.


So, all this happened before we even got to our seats. The concert was really incredible. The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra plus a choir plus ANTHONY DANIALS narrating plus laser lights and a huge screen equals the best night of my life. They played highlights from all the movies and full songs from each of the 6 movies, all of which gave me Goosebumps (especially with the choir) and were accompanied by introductions by C3-PO himself.


One thing that made this extra awesome for me were seeing the movie clips on the big screen. Sure, I’ve seen the three new Star Wars a bunch of times each in theaters, no big deal. BUT, the old three, the ORIGINAL three, the best three, I never got to see in theaters because I was either not born yet or not old enough. These movies have been such a huge part of my life, and tonight I actually got to see parts of them on the big screen, the way movies are meant to be seen. That alone made the night unforgettable. When Leia says to a pre-carbon-freeze Han, “I love you” and he responds, “I know,” I totally teared up.


After the concert there was a place set up with all sorts of original Star Wars costumes and props, including THE Han Solo in Carbonate. I almost died. That is as close as I will ever get to Harrison Ford, the first love of my life. Swoon. I posed with more people, got my picture taken with all the costumed actors walking around including Boba Fett, a Stormtrooper who let me hold his gun and an Imperial guard. We stayed until the security guards were literally yelling in our faces to leave (jerks) and I spent the car ride home day dreaming about actually living in the Star Wars galaxy, having a Wookie best friend and flying Xwings like I did when I was a little kid.


Here are the rest of my pictures:


http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2351756&id=25808219&l=00ab59ce6d


Goodnight and may the force be with you, always.


~major7th

3 comments:

Jacques said...

Oh man! You do always get the creepy guys. But I have to give you major props (and these are special props because they're coming from England) for the conversation you had with him! I am so glad you got to do this, it is so completely you and amazing (well, for you...) just like you!

DeeRoo said...

A great time was had by all!;)

Tanner said...

Awesome.