Thursday, October 29, 2009

Spider lights


Lady Mountaineer is so bad ass.

You know how, in the wide world that is the Internet, that just about everyone and their mother has a blog? Well, for me this has come true. My mother, after months of talking about it, finally made herself a blog. I think it’s going to have a crafting focus, but basically be about anything and everything that’s going on with her and her new found quilt making passion. Really, she has been making quilts for ages. Look at this picture; it is from this past weekend when Nicole came to my house the night before we drove to Morgantown for Homecoming. That really is Nicole, even though all you can see are her golden locks, but look at the quilt she is under. Mom made that ages ago, not sure for who (probably James) of our pockets from old pairs of jeans. Awesome huh?

bwhaa


I remember when James and I were little it was at one point draped over this futon couch we had in our room between our beds with the pockets facing up. We would put action figures, pipe cleaner people, Caveman (James’ favorite toy), LEGOs, dinosaurs, Barbies and GI Joes in the pockets and pretend it was any number of things. A wall of pockets; think of the possibilities to the imagination of a young child with toys that could make a comfortable home of a pocket. Sharing a room was not all bad growing up, we had fun. I remember we used to take yarn and tie it to various points around the room, making a sort of web of string and then put little baskets on the string that our toys could ride in all around our room. We would cover the floor in dinosaurs and say that the humans had to live high up in order to not be eaten. It’s weird thinking of all the things we used to do in the very room I am now living in, alone, so long ago. We used to make tents too. Man we were cool.



Any who, I digress. My point to start with was that my mother has a blog, and you should all check it out. I might as well plug it since she washes my clothes and makes me Halloween costumes. Here it is: http://deeroodesigns.blogspot.com/


OH MAN. So I was just talking about my brother and I playing in our room as kids, and what comes up on my i-tunes shuffle? The Imperial March of course. Hahah, funny. Yeah, we would also listen to the soundtrack to the Star Wars movies for hours on end nonstop all the time. I bet you all wish you shared a room with your younger brother up till you left for college now, don’t you?


Aforementioned, I went to Morgantown last weekend with Nicole for homecoming. The weirdest part of being back in town was not being back in town, it was the fact that it did not feel weird being back in town. We have really not been gone that long if you think about it, especially not me since I was there to visit Jen in July. As we drove to Morgantown at the crack of crack Friday morning in Nicole’s rental car, it felt like we were just coming back from a really long summer vacation or winter break. The weirder part was being homeless once we got there. We spent a lot of time in our rental car, affectionately named Creeper by Nicole due to its black color. We were just back at school, the place we spent the last 4 years of our lives, and nothing had changed. The dorm we watched go up near Summit was finished and there was a new parking garage at the Medical PRT station, but besides that, everything was the same. Except for us. Nicole has bangs now and my hair is short. And we are graduated.


Our whole reason for coming back for Homecoming, besides seeing everyone again, was to do Alumni Band. Basically that’s exactly what it sounds like; all the old Pride of West Virginia Alumni can come back once a year and march a little bit of pregame at the game. It was marvelously unorganized. There were about half the number of drill spots for the number of guard members who wanted to march, so we just all smashed together in clumps and wonky lines and pretended we were in a form. It was awesome to be back on the practice field, despite the rain (which really made the whole practice more authentic), with Nicole and all the crazy Bando Alumni. We got yelled at by the old Guardies because we remembered the routine and they didn’t, told not to spin or toss, and were shot down every time we tried to make a suggestion. Just like old times, if they can even be called old since it was just a year ago. Now that I think of it, I think the women who did the majority of the yelling probably did not mean to sound to mean. I think that might just be how she talks. Oh well, either way she sounded hostile, which just made us want to spin and do the routine even more, which we did.




There is not much about the game I can say that won’t sound cliché or nostalgically lame. I will say a little though, like how being on the field in front of all those people again was wonderful. Spinning on that field in front of those fans has been the only place where I’m not embarrassed or shy, where I am completely confident with myself and what I’m doing. The only place in the world, and I’ve been around the world. When the season ended last year, I was devastated at the thought of never being a part of that again, of never feeling that way again. But this weekend, I felt better. We preformed, the Alumni band sounded great, and after watching the video, the guard did not look half bad either. After we preformed we marched off the front sideline and watched the Pride perform, yelling at our friends and taking pictures like proud moms. Nicole and I taught some of those kids pregame, and there they were smiling and spinning, looking awesome. I thought I would be sad watching the band perform and not being a part of it, not being inside the Simple Gifts circle, not struggling to fit the diagonals and running to parenthesis, but I wasn’t. Being right there in the middle, the Alumni behind me, the Pride in front of me, made me feel like I was still a part of it all, and always would be. So now I don’t have to be sad, because once a year I can always come back and be a part of it all again. Marching Band is a feeling (like shopping:), my favorite feeling. There’s nothing like it.



Alright, enough of the sappiness. Now I’m home, I’ve got a cold, and I have to go to work. In a matter of days all sorts of things are happening. Tiffany is coming home, Halloween, and NanoWrimo. I still have no outline for my story; I guess I will do it at the last minute as usual. I did decide last night that my bad guy, who is a girl, is going to have huge eyes, like the girl in the My Chemical Romance music video of their song “I don’t love you.” Check it out, she is creepy and beautiful, and her eyes are gigantic. I guess that’s a start, a weak one, but better than nothing.



Gross.

Well, I’m tapped out of topics for now. Speaking of taps, I posted a blog about our Oktoberfest on my other blog here: you should check it out. It rained then too. Every major thing that’s happened to me in my weird year off has included rain. Tiffany’s wedding, my Grandparent’s anniversary party, Oktoberfest, and Homecoming, all were wet occasions. What gives?



Happy Thursday,



~major7th


Here is the link to the rest of my pictures from Homecoming, in case anyone is interested: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2346737&id=25808219&l=49192a21ea

5 comments:

Tanner said...

My grandmother had cut all the scraps to make big, queen-size-or-bigger quilts out of blue-jeans for my brother and I before she started to get sick. Supposedly my aunt Money has them and is supposedly making them, but I doubt she ever will. I also have old souvenir t-shirts that my mom plans to fashion into a quilt of multi-coloured memories at some point. I might have to take up quilting myself one of these days (in there with decorating baked goods and heliarc welding).

Look at that creeper in the background with the funny-looking tuba!

DeeRoo said...

Thanks for the plug sweetie. I'll try to live up to your blogs!:)


WVU Snuggies...ugh.

Anonymous said...

http://new.music.yahoo.com/my-chemical-romance/videos/view/i-dont-love-you--157421046

major7th said...

Thanks Anonymous! Everyone should go watch that video, it rules.

Snooty Crumb said...

I just have to say that I liked the True Stories reference :)