Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Snuggies are stupid.

Lots of fun things are happening. It’s finally cold outside for good, thank God, so I can keep the long sleeved shirts out for good. Now all I need to do is find my sweaters and I’ll be happy. I love sweaters.
Here are the fun things happening from now till the end of November:


Döner’s Oktoberfest

Homecoming/Nicole & Maria reunion extravaganza (there will be a music video).

NanoWrimo eating my brain.

Maria’s Wisconsin adventure, featuring Mary and Molly.


Funfunfunfun. I mean, my brain being eaten probably won’t be so fun, but that’s ok. By now I’m used to my Novembers being spent tearing my hair out, desperate for a plot and lacking enough hours in each and every precious day. For those of you who have not heard me talk about this before, here’s an explanation for you because I’m just that nice.

NanoWrimo stands for National Novel Writing Month which occurs every November. Nicole brought it to my attention two years ago and practically forced me to do it with her, but I’m glad she did. Basically the challenge is to write a novel in a month, precisely 50,000 words, which ends up being around 80 pages (with medium amounts of dialogue) single spaced (so…like 160 double spaced? Something like that). There is a website and everything. You make yourself a profile, pick a username and you are good to go. Every day, or however often you want to during the month you upload your current word count and watch the little bar under your name turn blue with every thousand words until the end of the month where it turns purple and declares you a winner. You can have writing buddies, chat with other writers on the site and pose questions about your story, about writing in general, or check your facts on the message boards. Overall it is a really cool thing and I highly recommend that everyone give it a try.

It’s much harder than you would think to get to 50,000 words, especially when you are racing someone. Nicole and I always race, I don’t know why or even remember how it started, but we do, which just makes it harder in the long run. IT would probably be easier if we didn’t race, but there’s no way that’s happening. I have won the last two years by like a day or so, it’s always really close, so I have a reputation to uphold. However, I’m not optimistic this year. I’m continuing a short story I’ve already written, so you would think it would be easy since all the characters already exist and the plot is set, but for some reason that’s just making it harder.

My story is fantasy (YA), and my big plan for November is creating a whole new world the characters go into, but this is turning out harder than I ever expected. Making a new world is HARD, there are so many things you need to take into account and rules you have to make and not break no matter what. And on top of the new world I have to make, I need a bad guy. I have an idea for her, basically just the fact that she is a ‘her’, but that’s it. I’m having a hard time not making her cliché and boring, that and I’ve never really written a story with a bad guy in it before.

I am actually realizing this for the first time right now. I’ve never written a really bad guy. I mean, I’ve written a few characters that turn out not good, but no one who is an actual villain. Some of my favorite characters out there are villains, or at least have villain like qualities (Severus Snape for example). I don’t even have a name for her yet, all I know is that she is a ‘her.’

When I actually wrote this blog, Oktoberfest was still happening. It’s over now, and it was cool, I will write about it more later. I have much more to say about everything else on that list, but I’m going to save them for later. Beth was complaining that I have not updated my blog in a while, so I figured I should give her something. I don’t want an angry Beth on my hands.

~major7th

3 comments:

DeeRoo said...

I would love to try Nano, I know I can talk that much but I don't think I could write that much!:)

I agree about Snuggies....ugh!

Jacques said...

I'm so glad to see an update as well! Gives me something to waste my time with...Not that your writing is EVER a waste of time in my book. This villain (I assume this is for what I hope it's for!)better be good. As your editor I reserve the right to force you to hit 50,000 or else!

Tanner said...

When you were talking about a villainess who needs a name, the chorus of "Lucretia MacEvil" by Blood, Sweat and Tears popped into my head. Give it a listen, maybe it will help.

Non-sequitur title threw me off, too. I wasn't expecting to hear about anything cool with "Snuggies" in the title, and that's all it was.