Sunday, September 20, 2009

Leesburgians

A ten I got in tips the other day. funny.

Recent Netflix movie categories:


~Critically-acclaimed goofy independent movies


~Imaginative SiFi fantasy from the 1980s


~Mind-bending Dramas based on contemporary literature


~Visually striking suspenseful action and adventure


~Gory end-of-the-world horror movies


Cool huh? Those are a bunch of good words. Gory, goofy, imaginative, mind-bending, I guess that’s what I like. If Netflix says it’s so, then it’s so. I’m a slave to online movie databases. I mean, not really since I don’t have lots of time to watch movies these days (so sad), but if I did, I would be.


I had an epiphany yesterday morning while cutting bread at work about where my favorite story I have ever written is going to go next. Cutting bread will do that to a person I’ve noticed; I always think of weird things while methodically slicing Döner bread by the box full for hungry Leesburgians (Leesburgites? Leesburgs? Leesburgers? Whatever). It really puts you in the zone, whatever zone that may be, and I usually end up wishing I had just one more box to cut.


So anyhow, my epiphany was about my first kids/young adult story I wrote a few years ago (has it really been that long??) and where it is going. This story has really taken me a long time to figure out. First it started with 6 pages and a really awesome idea, but I had no idea what to do with it. Then I figured it out, made it about 30 pages and thought it was done for a while. Then yesterday, it exploded in my head into a million new directions, sending the whole concept worldwide and into the history books. I am not going to say what my idea is here for fear someone might google search my blog and steal my idea. I am getting paranoid that someone is going to think of my idea and publish it before I get a chance to; that would be just my luck. But I like all you cool followers, so if you are really wondering, just ask me and I will let you know. I am going to need lots of feedback on it eventually.


The moral of the story is I’m feeling particularly inspired these days. I think it has to do with what I’ve been reading (well into Inkspell, the sequel to Inkheart, and loving every word of it) and the like. Reading a fairytale makes me think like I’m in a fairytale which makes the world look more like a fairytale, which has in turn inspired my own fairytale. Now that it’s getting colder and the leaves are turning to golds and coppers I have been getting the urge to go run around in the woods somewhere or just walk through fields pretending I’m on some epic quest to save the world, in costume of course. But who will quest with me? I can think of one person, but she is in Doylestown.


Speaking of living a fairytale, that reminds me of something I was thinking about the other day. Let me know if this has ever happened to you, but sometimes when I’m doing every day things like walking through the unfinished part of my house or taking out the trash at work I get this feeling like I could probably easily jump onto the roof or scale the wall with little effort. Ok, that probably did not make sense, I’ll try again. So for example, I was in the unfinished part of my house the other day balancing on a rolled up carpet and I stumbled. I easily regained my balance, but as I did I got this flashback feeling, almost like déjà vu (a glitch in the matrix!) feeling like I’ve done it before, but somewhere else. When I was balancing on the carpet I got a flashback to a time where I was running somewhere with crazy agility like a superhero, as if that has happened to me before. Assuming you are following me (which I really don’t think you are) I’ll tell you two reasons I think this happens to me.


I think I get this feeling for one of two reasons: one, I’ve watched too many movies, and two, I actually used to do that stuff when I was little. James and I used to run around all over the place in the yard, climbing trees and playing in the dirt, not getting tired with the energy only children seem capable of possessing. Back then I probably was at some point pretending I was being chased by some bad guy through the woods at my grandparent’s houses, dodging trees and trying to escape. I think my overactive imagination (as if such a thing exists) is what gives me these flashbacks and make me feel like I used to be a hero in another life. It’s because I was a hero in another life, a hero of my own games. Now that story only exists in fleeting flashes of fun times in the past, as if childhood was in another lifetime entirely.


My "seen too many movies" reason is just as likely. You know that feeling when you first get out of a really awesome movie at the theaters, like an amazing action adventure movie that had you on the edge of your seat for two hours, and you feel like you are still in it for a while? Well, sometimes for me that feeling will last a few days, a few wonderful days where everything I do feels cooler because in my mind I am in the movie still as a character. It effects the cloths I wear and the things I do, so I can see that causing false flashbacks to past heroics.

I have never tried explaining this feeling in words before, and I don’t think I did a very good job here, but please let me know if this has ever happened to you.


Signing off now from outside a closed coffee shop on yet another weird Sunday.


“Can you feel it
Feel it in the air,
The wind is taking it everywhere, yeah”


~major7th

6 comments:

DeeRoo said...

I am really wondering......
xo

major7th said...

what a suckie comment.

Tanner said...

I followed your action hero comment. I used to do the same thing, and I'll have those same kinds of flashbacks.

Also: I'll run in the woods with you. Actually, we can use my backyard, which happens to be the forest. Not that I'm really any closer than Doylestown, but she can come too.

Tanner said...

Oh, so the link (since there's no private message, and why not advertise for free).

http://rocknrollerj.blogspot.com/

Or from my profile click on "Diary of a Scatterbrained Polymath"

DeeRoo said...

It was only a suckie comment because you were looking over my shoulder while I posted it!:)

Leesburger.....sounds like a great sandwich.

The other day I was thinking about flying....I love google earth and it would be so much easier to see what is down these long driveways on our dirt roads if I could just fly over....dial-up is a drag!!:)

I'm still wondering....are you going to tell us?:)

Kelsey Austin Threatte said...

The only thing I think about when cutting doner bread is how I really want to steal a piece. I am really enjoying getting caught up on these. I love your mind maria. And I never faltered one second while following your train of thought. I think of the same things... all too frequently. Mostly about being able to jump off something really high and survive, luckily I haven't tried it yet...
LET ME READ YOUR THINGS! I finished the last one... I need more lady.