Friday, September 25, 2009

Ich bin Maria, that's all I know.


Yesterday started my own personal Oktoberfest season, with a huge BANGGGG! I went with my bosses to the German Army’s annual Beerfest at Dulles Airport, and oh what a cool thing it was! 2,000 people, 2 bands, and an airplane hangar packed with Oktoberfest food, German beer and happy people, what more could you want? I know, this is not usually my scene, but despite that and my normal social anxieties, I had a fantastic time. We got there around 6:30 when the doors opened and did not leave till midnight when they were all but kicking us out, and I honestly could have stayed longer.


Nicole and I.


I just finished writing a blog about this for the Döner Bistro blog, but it is still waiting for approval. I’ll send the link when it’s up. Till then I’ll tell you about a few things I did not write about.


I was the designated driver, so I did not drink anything, but I can see why tickets for this thing are so coveted; as much free beer and food as you can handle. The lines for everything were really long, but went fast. I mostly spent the night wandering around, taking LOADS of pictures and talking with everyone in our group. I meet lots of new people, and some I probably should have known already from them coming by the restaurant.



At one point I found myself talking with a woman in the Alte Kameraden band who played trumpet. I was telling her about how much I love band and the Tuba when this really good looking older guy came up to her and joined in the conversation starting out with a question my way, “German or American?” It did not seem to matter what I answered, he smiled all the same. He was a member of the other band that was there, The German Army’s band that flew in from Germany just for this event and I think a few others around DC.



So we were just talking, me totally enjoying this guy's company with a stupid grin on my face. I mean, this guy was like Sean Connery, Ralph Fiennes, Alan Rickman good looking. Before I knew it he had hijacked my camera and was taking pictures of me and everyone, all the while with that ridiculously good looking smile on his face. He called over one of his buddies from the band, a younger guy (by younger I mean like 30s I think) who I think played the flute, and kept taking pictures. Suddenly I was dancing with the flute player, being lead all over the place, spun and passed behind his back. He did not speak English very well, but I think he said that dancing was his hobby. I think his name was something like Gregory or Gregor, he said both names, but I could be wrong. Timo told me later that that’s not a very German name, but that does not really matter.


Gregory-Gregor and I.


Gregory-Gregor was super nice, but I think he was getting a little too attached. After each song he would ask “drink or dance?” like those were our only two options. He kept pointing at me to his buddies up with the band like “oh look at me I’m dancing with a girl!” which does not surprise me; I have a history of attracting those types of guys. But whatever, he was nice and I had a lot of fun dancing with him. At the end of the night he gave me a hug before he left saying, “I had a wonderful evening, I hope to see you in America!” Cute.


Anyway, it was an awesome night and I am extremely glad Timo and Nicole brought me with them. Tickets for this thing are crazy hard to get a hold of, usually they had to beg their friends for tickets but this year they got on a series of good lists and received their own. When we were leaving Timo asked me how many phone numbers I had collected. At first I had no idea what he was talking about, and then when he kept talking about it I figured it out. He just assumed I got phone numbers from Gergor and this other guy from our group I was talking to, funny! He seemed really concerned that I did not get any numbers and said, “next time just give them yours.” Well, next time, maybe I will.



~


This weekend I am going to Lovettsville’s Oktoberfest and then October 15th through 18th I’ll be at the Döner’s working. Fantastisch!


I slept in till almost 1 today and now it’s almost 7, where has the day gone? I always worry that I am not enjoying my days off to the fullest since I get so few of them, but really, I think sleeping all morning and doing nothing on the Internet all afternoon is a great day. I will probably go home, read my book for a while and then top off the day with a movie or something. I need to be more accepting of doing nothing. I need to embrace ‘Il bel far niente’ as they say in Italy, the beauty of doing nothing.


Alright, that’s all for now.


Prost!


~major7th


ps. here are my other pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2338052&id=25808219&l=13369682e5

Here are the pictures Dan, the professional photographer in our mists took. way better than mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/estilos30/sets/72157622454815996/

Here is the link to my Doener Blog post! :

http://doenerusa.blogspot.com/2009/09/german-army-beerfest-2009.html

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've also heard that tickets are hard to get. Looks like it was a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing. Prost!

DeeRoo said...

Glad you had such a great time....it was Wunderbar!:)

Sleeping in an doing nothing is great!!

Jacques said...

I love your minimal German skills! You're too cute.
There's a German girl on my course. She's totally giving me lessons. Perhaps next year we can go to the REAL Oktoberfest!

major7th said...

Yes please Jen! I bought an English to German dictionary the other day, I'm half way there!

Kelsey Austin Threatte said...

aghhhhh maria I smiled and laughed the whole time. I wish I was there... that would have been ridiculously fun. Can I be jealous of your life? Because I am. Also, anything in german sounds slightly scary... just saying. <3

major7th said...

I know, just imagine me shouting ICH BIN MARIA at you and let that haunt your dreams. Actually, I laughed out loud a little when I imagined it, so maybe not.