Monday, September 14, 2009

"Books have to be heavy because the whole world's inside them."


When was the last time you read a book that demanded all of your attention from the moment you opened it to the second your eyes read the last page? That’s where I am right now, two hundred pages into a five hundred page young adult novel that won’t let me think of anything else. It’s a greedy sort of book, one that forces you to think of only it’s story and makes you abandon all the things you ‘should’ be doing in order to pay it more attention. This book was calling to me before I even opened it, when it was still just another red cover on my shelf. It made me, practically at gun (or sword) point, stop reading the book I had currently committed to and pick it up. Now I’m trapped, trapped in its enchanting story and loving every moment of it.


The book I’m referring to is Cornelia Funke’s Inkheart, the fantastical tale of a book loving father (Mo) and daughter (Meggie) and the adventures they get into. Mo has the amazing talent of being able to read characters and things out of books just by reading aloud. I am not going to say anything about the story because I would hate to spoil anything for all you future readers out there. All I will say is that if I did not have to go to work today I would undoubtedly be at home in bed reading Inkheart, in heaven.


One major reason I think I love this book so much, besides the story and overall premise (it was clearly written by a book lover, about book lovers, specifically for book lovers) is the character Dustfingers. I saw the movie of this book first, something I usually hate doing, but in this case it worked in my favor. The movie was good, but it left me knowing that the book must be better. I was right, it is, but the one thing that the movie did right was casting Dustfingers. He is played by Paul Bettany (from such films as A Knights Tale, A Beautiful Mind and The Da Vinci Code) and is perfect. That being said, I don’t know if I would recommend that everyone watch the movie first or read the book, it will have to be your call. All I can say is that I LOVE picturing Paul Bettany while I read, which makes me glad I did it in the order I did.



That’s all I wanted to say today. I will leave you with a bunch of random picture I have been taking lately, for your amusement.























Beth took this one.







6 comments:

foobella said...

You've definitely intrigued me about this book. And Paul Bettany? Love him.

Picture comments:

Pops is cycling with a coffee in his hand? Tres chic.

That slug was not a nice surprise. Stepped on one with my bare feet one hot summer night. I shutter.

Speaking of books again, as if you speak of anything much else (which is quite all right by me), I finished my first Harry Potter book! Aren't you proud of me?

DeeRoo said...

WhooHooo....guess I need to read it!:) Guess I need to read the HP book too since Foo has beaten me to it and I know you want me to read it!:)
Love all the random pics...where did you take the haybale pic?

Tanner said...

To answer your opening question: every book I read is like that. Even magazines do it, which happens to be why I'm up now. I can't tear myself from the world of a good (or even just decent) book. Also, I've heard particularly good things about "Inkheart" in both book and movie form. I suppose I have to read it, all in one setting, of course.

You're quite the photographer, and may I say your life looks like a little, sunny, slice of heaven in those shots.

Liz said...

You got a slug friend, too! How exciting!! :-D

P.S. I think Gene Wilder's novels were the last ones that sucked all my attention out of the universe. You should totally check them out. And I should totally check out this Inkheart movie...that dude with the ferret looks intense. :)

Jacques said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE Paul Bettany!!! And you too!! Just finished a book called Suite Francaise which held ,e captive. It was about the German occupation of France in 40-41. Highly recommended.

major7th said...

once again, I knew you two would comment! If I write anything about kittens or books, you two are right there!