Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Megan Fox has toes for thumbs. Look it up.

Hi all.

Raise your hands if you watched the Michael Jackson memorial extravaganza the other day. Yeah, I did. I was at work, and footage of the event was on CNN almost the entire 6 hours that I was there. It was an extremely slow day, so I put the sound up and watched it between clearing tables, cleaning things and taking orders every so often. Lucky for me everyone was sitting outside, so no one was inside to see me cry. Yeah, I cried. I can’t help it, it was ridiculously sad.

I do think it was a little strange that the casket was there, and that they felt the need to have such an over the top memorial, but really, what was Michael Jackson if not over the top? He was big, so I guess the world would not be satisfied with a normal memorial for the king of pop. I’m not sure there is anything else I can say about it all that has not already been said far too many times, so I will leave it at this. He died, I’m sad, but he was great.

~

In other news, there is no other news. I have been working at lot lately, and not doing much else. Mom suggested taking a few classes next semester at NOVA so I can put off paying my student loans. I am all for this, and even more so now that I have seen what classes they have to offer. No upper level creative writing classes unfortunately, but they do have a bunch of film classes.

Appreciation, intro to Directing and just plain film, I have a good selection. I might take one film class and then something either easy or random, or both. Like drawing. Actually, that is neither. I have never been able to draw. I might take Mythology. I feel my life could be greatly improved with better knowledge of Mythology. Everyone’s would.

So what it all boils down to is that I need money. Not necessarily for these classes, they are way more affordable than classes at WVU ever were, but for future grad school and other plans. I have two major plans that require money; grad school and a trip to Wales with Nicole. The Wales trip is a recent development, something she brought up for serious a few days ago and something I want to do extremely badly. We are starting to plan out (well she is, I keep meaning to look things up but have had no time of late) how much things will cost and how to get around, and I am getting excited. This Wales trip makes it easier to work for a week and a half straight without any days off. Thinking of the amazing things planned for my future helps the days go by faster, not that they are really that bad anyway.

Anyway, if anyone wants to help me out with either my trip to Wales or my grad school fund, I am taking donations. I will not accept donations from any of my grandparents or parents because they give me way to many things as it is, by the way. Really I will not be taking donations from anyone, because I would feel bad, especially if any of my plans fell through. So never mind. It will be far more satisfying in the long run if I am able to go to Wales because I worked hard and saved the money myself. And really, after working for about a month, I am not doing too bad. Look out world! Man that's lame.

~

I told a few people the other day that I almost got shot and that I would give them details in my blog. That was an exaggeration, and then I never wrote about it, so sorry on both counts. I will explain now. I did not almost get shot, I was just in the same neighborhood as a guy with a gun, that’s all. I’m sure I am usually in the same neighborhood as someone with a gun every day, this being America and all, it’s just that last Friday I knew about it.

What happened was this: last Friday, in Leesburg VA, the home of such wholesome places as Mom’s Apple Pie, the Döner Bistro and various adorable antique stories, some guy robbed a jewelry store, ran into the neighborhood I work in, and held up a family in their own home.

Of course, I did not know this was happening right away like the rest of the town. Customers kept coming in and talking about the robbery, giving me all sorts of crazy stories. First it was a bank robbery, then it was the jewelry store, then I heard a cop got shot, which turns out never happened. Then I heard the helicopter. It was flying really low and seemed to be circling our restaurant and the surrounding area. Freaky, right? Then the cops arrived.

First it was just a few random cop cars parking around the area, then a few more. I started to see people wearing street clothes with gun holsters. Then there were the rifles. This cop was just walking down the street with a huge automatic rifle cradled in his arm like nothing was going on.

After a while the entire street in front of the Döner was packed with cops cars and we were locked inside our restaurant. Apparently the cops outside had started yelling at our customers to get inside because it was too dangerous to be sitting outside. Nice, right? No one ever called us or told us what was going down, they just yelled. Apparently other surrounding businesses got phone calls warning their employees to stay inside because there was a dangerous man about, but we never got a call. We were the business the closest to the action and no one said a word to us. Interesting.

We did not have a ton of customers when were locked in, but there were enough to make a lot of noise. One couple wanted their money back since we could not get outside to the kitchen to make their food, so I had to shout on the phone with one of the owners while he told me how to type that into the computer. There was one guy there from Korea with three pre teen boys. We got to talking, and it turns out that he had just picked up two of the boys from the airport just an hour before, so being locked inside a German restaurant by a rampant gunman was their first taste of the US. They did not seem to really be paying attention to what was going on, the boys anyway, so I guess it was ok with them. The dad was telling me that he was a criminal investigator in Korea, and that no one there is allowed to own a gun, so things like this would never happen, but he said it in a nice way, not a mean I’m-insulting-your-crime-ridden-country sort of way. He said, and this is a near exact quote, “if someone wants to kill someone else they have to use things like hammers or knives.” Nice guy, I liked talking with him.

After a while we were let free, but not because anyone told us it was ok. It looked like the cops were dispersing, so I snuck outside and had to ask an officer if it was ok for us to let our customers out. He said ya like it were obvious. I really don’t understand this lack of communication between our particular restaurant and the cops, how was I supposed to know it was safe if no one told us?

I have a good picture of the Döner owners from the paper the next day, so I may eventually scan it and put it in here, but I am at a coffee shop at the moment and not near my scanner. Despite my aggravation with the officer’s lack of communication, it all did make for an exciting morning.

~

The rest of my weekend was fairly fantastic as well. I had Saturday off so I could co-host Tiffany’s bridal shower and then that night I went to see Transformers with my dad. Finger sandwiches and chocolate covered strawberries in the morning, robots in disguise at night, does it get much better than that? Transformers was an action packed, no breaks thrill ride that kept me 100% entertained from start to finish. I have not been that entertained since, well, since I re-watched the first Transformers with Nicole and remembering what a fantastic movie it was. I have to say, I think the first one was probably a better movie as a whole than the second, as they usually are, but I still had a great time watching Transformers 2.

Skankey tongue-nasty girl robot that had skin, what the hell? That was my one major question. Shouldn’t everyone be more concerned that some of the Decepticons can now look exactly like humans? I know that is a big deal in Battlestar Galactica and Terminator, why are more people not freaking out about it in Transformers? She was terrifying.

This blog is but one tiny speck on my massive list of things to do, so I had better stop here. Sorry to all my loyal readers that I have been neglecting this blog lately, but somehow I find myself super busy.

Everyone should go listen to the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack immediately.

~major7th

3 comments:

DeeRoo said...

See, excitment can even be had in Leesburg...but that kind of excitment I would rather you not be around!:)

Kelsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelsey said...

hahaha maria, I love your blogsies so much! I can't believed I missed a shoot out in sleezburg! I am really upset by this. We could have gone all vigilanty and stormed the house... or at least completely exagerated the story together to make it sound cooler. But other than that I think my favorite part of your blog was finger sandwiches and choclate covered strawberries in the morning and robots in disguise at night. I really like that mental image and feeling it leaves me with. Man I want choclate covered robots right now...